Introduction



My name is Robert Hickman. I'm an artist and college professor from Brooklyn, NY. I make sculptural objects, installations, and public art. My work can be seen on my website at hickmanindustries.com. I've done many transportation related public art projects, the best known being the skylight for the 72nd street subway station on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. I'm recognized for my unicycling and project to cross every single bridge in New York City on a unicycle. I commute everywhere in NYC by bike, often with my dog Blanka.

In 2018 I rode coast to coast following the ACA TransAmerica trail. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. This past summer I cycled across the US following the ACA Northern Tier route. I'm addicted to cycling adventures.

I'm embarking on the ultimate cycling adventure with my friend Scott, whom I cycled with on the TransAm. Both of us were inspired by our pal Kyle, who was part of our TransAm gang. Kyle cycled the Carretera Austral last year. Scott and I will be flying into Puerto Montt Chile, and will then attempt to ride to Punta Arenas at the bottom of South America. The Carretera Austral (Southern Way) is the name given to Chile's Route 7. The highway runs south for 770 miles from Puerto Montt to Villa O'Higgins, passing through rural Patagonia. It is one of the most world's most spectacular cycling destinations and is characterized by thick forests, fjords, glaciers, and steep mountains. The challenging route is mostly gravel. The road ends at Villa O'Higgins and we'll traverse thick forests and stream crossings on foot until we reach paved roads again in Argentina. We'll pass enormous rock formations and ice fields and presumptively reach our destination at the bottom of the world.

⥢ prev -home- next ⥤

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carretera Austral Day #15 Villa O’Higgins to El Chaltén, Argentina

Heading south by bus Day #2 Glacier walk at Perito Moreno