Carretera Austral Forced Off Day Villa O’Higgins

January 12, 2020
Villa O’Higgins
Forced Off Day due to Ferry Schedule
Tour Total Pedaled 1163.67 km

I slept alright in my tent camped out on the grass at El Mosco. I woke up at 7am. I could hear people stirring, and had to use the bathroom. I was surprised to see the kitchen and dining room empty.

Taking advantage of less people using the WiFi, I edited  and posted reports from the past few days. Scott eventually appeared. We talked with other travelers, two German backpackers who were going all the way to Ushuaia. Stores in town didn’t open until 10am, and Scott wanted to make French toast.

The WiFi was interminably slow. Internet here comes by satellite. At 10:30am we went to the store and bought milk, eggs, bread, and orange juice. We returned to the hostel and Scott cooked French toast. Each subsequent batch was better, and Scott finally nailed it. He should open a breakfast place.

We used the hostel washing machine and hung our wet clothing in the sun to dry. I cleaned my chain and deraileurs and then I trued my rear wheel and inflated my tires. I attempted to fix my handlebar tape, but hadn’t brought enough electrical tape.

The French couple arrived and set up their tents out in the grass near us. They’ll be taking the Wednesday ferry.

We went grocery shopping and loaded up to make a feast. We made pasta with a tomato, pepper, and sausage sauce. There was enough for an army, and of course we devoured all of it.

I got caught up on all my posts, and Scott read his rocket science book. I spent some time in a hammock out on the porch and enjoyed the company of two friendly dogs.

Team Barcelona, whom I met in Puyuhuapi, arrived today. He had similar stories of rain and cold. He broke five spokes and was able to get help from a tire shop.

We heard that the pass after Cerro Castillo got snow a couple days after we had gone through.

It was a lovely sunny afternoon and the forecast called for similar weather tomorrow.

I heard from a reader on Crazy Guy who had done this route a couple of years ago. He assured me that the most difficult part was yet to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carretera Austral Day #15 Villa O’Higgins to El Chaltén, Argentina

Heading south by bus Day #2 Glacier walk at Perito Moreno

Introduction